Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How to remember formulas


Welcome to math online tutor,

One trick you can use when trying to remember patterns or principles
is to encode them as examples. For example, for the life of me I can
never remember whether (a^b)^c is a^(b+c) or a^(bc). So whenever I
need to know, I drag out this example:

(a * a) * (a * a) * (a * a) = a^6, so (a^2)^3 = a^6

which means that it must be (bc), and not (b+c). Does this get
tiresome? You bet. Is it preferable to guessing wrong? You bet!

Two other tricks I can recommend are:

Try teaching what you've learned to someone else. This is probably
the single most effective way of learning anything, especially if the
other person is having difficulty learning it. learn more on math forum; It forces you to think
of new ways to understand the material, in order to avoid presenting
it in the same old way. more examples on online math tutoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment