Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Remembering formulas


Welcome to free math help online,
I can sympathize with you, because I have a similar problem. I've
_never_ been able to remember formulas, and the way that I've had to
compensate is that whenever I learn a new formula, I have to learn how
to derive it from first principles - by which I mean, the things that
are so basic that I _can't_ forget them.

(One of the luckiest breaks I ever caught in my life was when I took
second-semester calculus in college. examples on math forum; That's the semester when you
have to memorize about a zillion formulas that all look pretty much
the same - one plus or minus the sine or cosine of plus or minus
something, under or over the square root of something similar - so I
fully expected to fail. But on the first day, the professor said: "I
don't expect you to remember anything that I can't remember, and the
only thing that I can remember is that cos^2 + sin^2 equals 1." So
you're not alone!)

I hope the above explanation was useful, now let us study more on online math forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment